2005 Articles

April 2005

The West Jordan Historical Museum news


 Update! The West Jordan Historical Museum’s moving the historic Cottage Inn to the museum is a few steps closer. As of April 10th, the cement pad has been poured. Next week, the Cottage Inn will be moved to the museum and placed on the pad. Restoration will begin almost immediately. This is an exciting time for West Jordan. We also are receiving a donation of 6 soda fountain type stools. The museum also just received a very special and unique West Jordan Historical artifact. But first the story behind it.

 The first LDS Church meeting house was built in West Jordan was the rock meeting house located near the West Jordan Cemetery. In the fall of 1901, the church’s officers selected a site for the new yellow brick chapel at 7898 south and Redwood Road. Apostle Owen Woodruff laid the cornerstone and dedicated the site on November 11, 1901. Construction of the new chapel commenced under the direction of Bishop Egbert. In May 1911, Bishop Egbert was released and William H. Gardner was sustained as is replacement with James A. Bateman and Joseph G. Jensen as counselors. The new chapel was occupied in December 1913, before it was completed. After meeting for some time in the basement, the ward finally held its first meeting in the new chapel on October 18, 1914. The spacious chapel had three beautiful high, stained-glass windows on three sides and a large organ behind the podium.

 While the building was in constant use commencing in 1913, the chapel was not dedicated until it was completely free of debt on October 3, 1920 by President Heber J. Grant. It became the pride of the community and was a landmark cherished by many who mourned its destruction on August 15, 1956. A new building was constructed to the south and was in use until it was also torn down to make way for the new West Jordan Fire Station on Redwood Rd.

 That was the history. Now on to the artifact. Just above the front doors on the east side leading into the building, there was placed an arched concrete slab. Etched into it was the following: West Jordan LDS Assembly Rooms Erected 1909. We believed like most West Jordan resident’s that anything from that building was lost when the building was taken down. Just recently, Jay Richardson, one of the museum’s biggest contributors dropped by the museum. In the back of his truck was the arched concrete stone. It had been broken into four pieces while in storage all theses years. Jay found it and with the help of a friend, glued the stones back together and used colored cement to fill in the cracks. As you can see, they did a beautiful job in restoring this important West Jordan artifact. Does anyone in West Jordan know what happened to the beautiful stained glass windows or has colored photos of the windows?

 We are in the process of putting together a display in the museum with the stone, photos, and other artifacts that were used in the yellow chapel. If you have knowledge of any additional photos, books, programs etc that were in use between 1913 and 1956, please contact the museum. We thank the community for their support of the museum by their donations and volunteerism.

 We welcome those who are interested in being part of our museum board or would like to serve on committees and help preserve our West Jordan heritage. Please call Robert or Linda Dalley at 255-3116 

August 2005

The West Jordan Historical Museum news

 We wish to thank all of those who attended our 4th of July Ice Cream Social in honor of the Cottage Inn. Those who attended enjoyed a nice cold ice cream sundae courtesy of Taylor Ice Cream Machines, Wal-Mart and council women Kathy Hilton. The delicious cookies were provided by Sam’s Club. It was the generous donations of these fine people and West Jordan companies that made this event possible. The Ice Cream Social started shortly after the West Jordan Parade. Our blacksmith, Paul Di Francesco of Lighting Forge Ironworks, entertained many of our patrons with his stories and items he forged during the event. The Antique Machinery Club’s displays of vintage tractors and caterpillar’s (Cats) were a big hit thanks to Bob Feenstra and his friend Paul.

  Our other activities included boxing champ Gene Fullmer signing autographs. It was great to see both young and old gather around his table to talk to Gene and get his autograph. This event was also the debut of the West Jordan Historical Museum’s new interactive display “Danni” the milking cow. This display was obtained, built and donated to the museum by Dannon Yogurt employees (thank you.) The children attending just loved learning how to milk a cow. What’s great about this cow is that all you have to do after the milking is just hose out the udder! We enjoyed the company of many first time patrons as well as many familiar faces who enjoyed the beautiful and shady grounds of the museum.

  Prior to the 4th of July Celebration, the Cottage Inn was completely prepped, and painted as an Eagle Scout project by Alex Laupic. There is much to be done to restore it to its original appearance. We have a couple of Eagle projects coming up to help with the electrical work but we are looking for more help. We are asking the community for volunteers who enjoy preserving our history to help us complete this project with both funds (donations are always welcomed) and volunteers. We are also looking for family histories and old West Jordan photos that can be placed in our new research library when it is completed.

 We thank the community for their continuing support of the museum by their donations and volunteerism. We welcome those who are interested in being part of our museum board or would like to serve on committees and help preserve our West Jordan Heritage. Please call Robert or Linda Dalley at 255-3116. The museum is located at 2053 west 7800 south on the north side of the West Jordan Main Park. We are opened Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays or by appointment.  

February 2005

The West Jordan Historical Museum news


 If you haven’t seen it yet, drive by the museum and take a gander of our new white picket fence along the front and sides.  We appreciate the time and effort spent by W.J. City staff to help acquire the fence during the road widening process. We are also looking forward to finalizing site improvements in the front and back of the museum house. We would like to commend Larry Harper for completing his Eagle Project which was to acquire and install our new beautiful flagpole. Good job Larry! It is really hard now to drive by and not spot us. In fact, the museum is open Tuesdays and Saturdays from 11A.M. to 4.30 PM. Thursdays till 6 P.M and by appointment. The gates will be open. In the near future we will also be opening our library and reading room at the museum. We have a big project coming up and we are looking for the following item: a 1920-1930’s National Cash Register or similar make and model, Hamilton Beach malt mixer with green or silver motor, an oil stove, four (4) soda fountain type stools with vinyl seats that bolt to the floor, and a small freezer.

 We wish to thank all of our volunteers & Eagle Scouts who have been coming during the last few months who braved the cold weather to help us accomplish some needed tasks. We welcome those who are interested in being part of our museum board or would like to serve on committees and help preserve our West Jordan heritage. Please call Robert or Linda Dalley at 255-3116 

 

  

 

 

 

July 2005

The West Jordan Historical Museum news


 We hope everyone has noticed our new sign in front of the museum on 7800 south. The installation of the sign completes Jeremy Knowles’ Eagle project. Our rear fences, gate and landscaping around the Cottage Inn will be completed in the next few weeks.

 The Cottage Inn is finally on its new foundation. There is much to be done to restore it to its original appearance. This historic cottage was West Jordan’s first soda fountain/lunch counter/grocery store which operated from 1937 to 1941. We have a couple of Eagle projects coming up to help with some painting and electrical work but we are looking for more help.  The owner of Peppertree Kitchens (located in West Jordan) has donated 6 antique soda fountain stools for the restoration. We have structural work; replace windows and doors, install new flooring, bead board and wallpaper. We need to construct three additional booth/seats and two tables (we have one of the original booths on hand that can be used as a pattern.) We are asking the community for volunteers who enjoy preserving our history to help us complete this project. With funds (donations are always welcomed) and volunteers, the work can be done in a short amount of time.

 Remember Monday the 4th of July as it will be a day of celebration in West Jordan. Our new main park will have a ribbon cutting ceremony and a parade down 7800 south. The museum will have an ice cream social to celebrate the Cottage Inn. Come watch the blacksmith demonstrations and admire the Antique Machinery Club’s displays of tractors and other farm items.

 We thank the community for their continuing support of the museum by their donations and volunteerism. We welcome those who are interested in being part of our museum board or would like to serve on committees and help preserve our West Jordan Heritage. Please call Robert or Linda Dalley at 255-3116. The museum is located at 2053 West 7800 South on the north side of the West Jordan Main Park. We are opened Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays or by appointment.  

Zap Logo